Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Heather Edwards

Default figs and birds

John, do you think this would work for bats too? They eat all the fruit off
my tree and mess all over my car its a problem every year. Given bats are
blind of course and rely on a sonor system. Heather.
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
Here's a tip from the 2GB gardening program for gardeners with a fig tree.

A couple of times I've heard Graham Ross (he of the Ground Force garden
makeover show on tv) say that he has not lost any figs to birds since he
started hanging rubber snakes in the tree. Had this claim come from almost
anyone else I would be very sceptical.

I imagine you'd need quite a few snakes, and if it was me I'd move some
around under cover of darkness so the birds didn't have cause to think
the snakes might be dead.

But I have one question for Mr Ross if he reads this newsgroup: don't
you have problems with the kookaburras hunting your snakes?

To counter the predations of kookaburras I reckon you'd need to tie the
snakes on tightly with fishing line, or cable ties, or something.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")