Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Peter Corser Peter Corser is offline

Default Ice on the pond

Hal wrote:
I have ice on the hot tub pond this morning and the fish are almost
still. They can be seen through the very thin ice that is almost
clear in one spot. I have a picture.

The in ground pond with three filter barrels in the ground is still
ice free and had a water temp of 41F this morning. The fish were in a
better mood than I, as I scooped out the leaves the wind had brought
in the past couple days. I shouldn't mind a few days of cold, but I
really do and am ready for spring, warm days and green things.
Happy New Year!

Hal

If the fish are at the bottom of the pond where the water should be at least
4 deg C they will be fine as long as the freezing conditions don't last too
long.

Don't, under any circumstances use an air pump/air stone to bring water to
the surface - this will do far more harm than good in allowing the overall
pond water temperature to fall to too low a level (still water will have 4
deg C minimum - a characteristic of water which is why ice floats). If the
cold spell is likely to be extended buy a simple floating electric pond
heater (tether it so that it can't touch the liner of the pond and damage
the liner) which will keep a hole open. I have heard of problems with fish
resting against the heater and suffering burns, but have never experienced
this when I have used this method. I have not experienced prolonged icing
over here in cental UK for several years although it has been a problem in
the past

If you have a problem which need solving immediately without access to pond
suppliers, try lowering the level of the pond by a couple of inches, melting
a hole using hot water from a kettle and filling the ice hole with a large
diameter ball (in the UK we normally use a soccer ball) to ensure that the
hole stays open. Enough air will pass the ball/ice interface to prevent a
problem (may not be perfect, but will be enough to work).

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK