Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default Greenhouse Heating

In message et, Dave
Liquorice wrote
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 00:29:45 +0000, the swede wrote:

For the last few years my husband has heated his greenhouse with a 2kw
natural gas heater. He brings on vegetable seeds in a heated
propagator but needs the heating as we live in Scotland. Gas prices
are expensive at about 12p per kw hour

Find a different gas supplier. You say "natural gas" which I take to mean
mains gas rather than bottled. 12p/kWHr is about 4 times what you should
be paying for mains gas and is more in keeping with upper range
electricity prices... 3 to 4p/kWHr would be more realistic, and about what
British Gas charge and they aren't know to be the cheapest.

For me, in the past year British Gas have been the cheapest supplier
(dual fuel, direct debit, paper-less billing etc.) so don't necessarily
rule them out because of past pricing policies. However, I wouldn't
trust the b*******s as I have just changed from one BG account to a
cheaper BG account that they have introduced recently. - they don't
inform existing customers that there are new accounts with lower charges

Take a look at a few of the utility switching sites, eg
http://www.uswitch.com. Though having just looked at that to check the gas
tarrifs available I can't see were you can find the figures they use to
calculate the "savings".

The _only_ way of knowing which supplier is cheaper is if you know your
annual consumption of Gas/Electricity in kW. The better utility
suppliers will have web sites where records of their customers meter
readings can be viewed for the past few years.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com