Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Ice on the pond

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:32:26 CST, Hal wrote:

Thanks for being helpful Peter, but I'm not in trouble, just bragging
about the ice since it is such a rare occurrence for me. Actually
the ice is all gone this morning and the water temperature is 36F or
2.2C at the surface this morning and it warms quickly in that pond.
It may take it a few more days to reach temperatures high enough to
begin feeding again, but the fish are in good health.

You know though... in your situation the idea of a ball, especially a black
one that would absorb heat when the sun came out, would probably be enough.
Assuming your cold came when it was clear? You pond was nice an clean.
Decomposing debris is what does fish in quickly when a pond is iced over,
as it uses up the O2. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us