Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Aquaducts - irrigating Australia

"Blackadder XXIV" wrote in message
u...
Has there been a serious study done to see the feasibility of channeling
water from our far north to some of the drier parts of our continent? I'm
thinking of a massive pipe and aquaduct system.

Yes several over the last 150 years. The Dept of Water Resources (or some
similar name, they change these things from time to time) published a book
primarily for farmers a couple of years ago about the national water
situation. This was in the context of the changes to legislation re water
sharing plans etc. It makes very interesting reading. It includes a summary
of the most notable of such schemes and concludes that while they sound good
initially, when you do the cost-benefit analysis very long pipelines or canals
are not worth it. If anybody is keen to know about this I will try and find
my copy and give you the reference.

It does seem sad that some parts of our land suffer from too much water -
whilst other parts suffer from its lack.

I'm not thinking that such a mammoth scheme could be achieved in 10 or even
100 years- but what's the alternative? Desalination plants don't seem to be
that effective.

Indeed. Desal is very expensive to run, more so in the context of the
greenhouse gases produced, unless you can run it using renewables.

It would require cooperation from Federal, State and local - but if
achieved- it would be a boon for future generations.

Of course. Let's see how they do over the Murray Darling, which is crying out
for action, over the next few years. Don't hold your breath waiting for a
result. We have a dirth of statesmen and a plethora or politicians. While
ever politicians are only looking to get elected for the next 3 years there is
little chance of plans that require long term planning and commitment.

David