Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default Is it possible to make branches from a mulberry take root?

On Jan 6, 12:03*pm, Rockford
wrote:
Help!
I've just reluctantly had to heavily prune a 'black mulberry' tree
that's thrived in my mum's garden for years - at 31' it had grown way
to big & had also begun to lean dangerously due to uneven growth.
Apparently it isn't a good idea to prune these trees at all, as they
bleed so much when cut & are unlikely to survive 'an extreme hair
cut'.

On advice taken from an ancient 'Pruning tips' book, I did the cuts at
a steep angle so as rain water runs off the sloped ends, & also burnt
the wounds with a blowtorch to create a seal that would stop the sap
escaping. Despite that, I've removed such a lot of it's branches that
it's quite likely I've killed it. Oops, sorry mum!

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to root the offcuts just in case the
original tree dies?

[image:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.w...nch%20set.jpg]

I have a stack of them ranging from 3' - 5' long, & have burnt the ends
of these also to seal the sap in. What's the best way to attempt
rooting?

Ta.

--
Rockford

also, might well be some shoots coming up from the roots, even if you
killed the tree. God knows, if you want to kill a tree, the damn roots
then send up shoots all over the whole neighborhood.