Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default The Gradens on Madeira

On 7/1/08 17:36, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 7/1/08 16:28, in article
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
See thats the problem with cruises, no time to see anything :~) There are
in fact 3 large gardens at the top of the cable car run at Monte and as
you say on a completely seperate cable car and only about half way up is
the botanic garden, there are also a further 3 orchid gardens nearby, we
wouldn't use the cable car for any of them (assuming I could get my wife
on it!) the buses are much cheaper and more fun.

One could spend the best part of a day in the Monte gardens alone. But I
must say that we liked the Blandy gardens even more - possibly because
they're more English in style, do you think?
Liz is right about the cable car! We took it but I really didn't like it,
especially when it swung a bit as it went over the runner thingies, or
over
a deep gorge. I've used dozens of cable cars when skiing but somehow,
being
in one that isn't above the snow that I ridiculously imagine will cushion
my
fall, made me very uncomfortable.

There is a spectacular cable car that runs from Cairns to Kuranda in
Queensland which just skims over the tops of the rainforest trees. A must
for any plants person.

That might be okay - I used to be quite good at climbing trees, so at least
I could climb down them. ;-))

I think I do pretty well getting Liz on the Levada walks, I think Cable
cars are not an option, we are talking about the girl who walked up Table
mountain rather than ride, and my arm has never recovered from the
helicopter ride to Tresco abbey gardens (if I had know she was that
strong she could have carried her own cases!)

Oh, poor thing! I *love* that helicopter ride. If it's any consolation to
her, tell her that my step-daughter took the boat to Tresco the first time
she visited. When she emerged from that horror, pea-green and almost
prostrate, she said that either they flew back or she was there for the rest
of her life. ;-)
I don't mind being on heights but I don't like going up ladders, though it
used never to bother me. And there's one bit of cliff, not far from
Formentor, that's a look out point on Majorca which has my heart in my
mouth. You hold on to a rail but it's not just a sheer drop, the cliff
actually curves slightly inwards beneath you so there is no reassuring rock
face to stare at. Last time I was there, someone had casually put their
child to sit on the edge of the wall and I had to leave very quickly. They
were holding onto it but knowing how fast children can squirm and move I was
in a mire just looking at its innocent little face.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk