Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question on Tobacco Tea

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/7/08 4:27 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

from McGerm contains these words:

I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus?

Well I know that commercial tomato growers here, don't permit
employees smoking in the glasshouses for that reason.
BTW, nicotine insecticides were banned here (UK ) years ago, because
they are a health hazard to people by skin contact. (and, to all
insects, including beneficial).

UNless you have an uncontrollable outbreak of pests, there's no
point applying "clean up" stuff.. Far better, to feed the soil (home
made compost, humus, mulches), so plants grow strong and healthy.

Encourage natural predators ( frogs birds and insects etc ) in the
garden and they will do all the necessary pest control.

Janet

Yeah...you talk about these natural predators like they're all sweet
little
creatures, but this ******* attacked me back in September. Went right for
my
throat, but I frightened it off with a blade of grass.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er/Toad_01.jpg

He's so cute!!!!

That's Julius. He's also the local union manager. Mr. Tough Guy. He thinks
he's Tony Soprano.