Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Is it possible to make branches from a mulberry take root?

"Rockford" wrote in message

Yes they strike easily.

David

Good, I'm in with a chance then. I've never attempted anything like it
before though, so am very unsure on how to go about it - could someone
advise me on whether the following is the right approach or not? It's
what I picked up from numerous corners of the internet:

Plant into a 2/3 sand 1/3 compost mix in a clean pot
Strip off a few inches of bark from the bottom
Keep it warm indoors
Feed with water that's had chopped up weeping willow branches left in
it (?!)

Is that right? Also, would I be better using the full offcuts which a
several feet long, or removing smaller branches from them & using
those?

Sorry about all these questions; I'm a complete novice & not green
fingered -at all-!

I would use tip cuttings about 12 in, take off all but the top leaves. Dip
the cut end in rooting compound and plant 6in apart in pots. Keep out of the
sun but warm in good light and water now and then. When new leaves appear
move into the sun, feed and keep watering. Plant out when established. If
you do (say) a dozen the chances are at least a few will grow even if
conditions are imperfect. I know of cases where random twigs were just pushed
into the dirt that grew.

David