Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default The Monster Storm

Well, my garden is intact after the California Hurricane.....
The big storm that hit Friday. Wind gusts were over 80 mph.
Over 2 inches of rain here-much more in many places.(14 inches!!)
My only casualties were a 15 foot Buddleia that blew half over
and hooked itself onto the climbing rose. So I trimmed it,
the Buddleia, back to 5 feet and pushed it upright, stomped
the roots back in and held it up with a big rock. I would hate
to lose it, the trunks are 4 inch diameters.
Our huge pine tree got a good pruning and distributed pine
needles and branches all over the yard. (more chippings for
mulch). Cleaned up pine 'poop' today.
The whole northern CA area was hit hard -over 90000 house
holds in the county without power. Our was off from 8 am
Fri until 2 am Sat. Son just got his back this am at 2. Some still
have no electricity.
Trees down all over town, and we have lots of them. Some are
still on top of roofs, some are on cars, and some lost huge
branches the size of small trees. Tree litter is pretty well
cleaned up and piled up at the curb (more compost for the
city facility)
Traffic lights were off everywhere, people got along extremely
well just making them into stop signs. Most are operating now.
This is a huge almond growing area, and the orchards were
really devastated. One grower lost 85% of his trees. Whole rows
of trees went down like dominoes. Some young ones may be
saved if they didn't go completely out of the ground, but many
old ones are gone. We'll be hearing chain saws for awhile.

At the local school a row of 6 ash trees were all damaged,
a couple looked just like hurricane/tornado damage, with the
trees all twisted and broken like sticks (big old trees)\\
That's enough now; it's good to be back online and reading
rec.gardens again
Emilie in Northern California