Old 08-01-2008, 03:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Ice on the pond

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:07:55 CST, Hal wrote:

I understand, but the ice is gone already. I was surprised at the
debris that appears on the bottom after the water got so cold, some
blew in on the wind we had with the cold snap, but today should be
warm enough I can take care of a little clean up and finish hooking up
a barrel filter. I copied Birdman's sand and gravel filter.
http://tinyurl.com/3azz99
Should give me somewhat less than 50 gallons of water to add with the
275 in the hot tub and provide adequate filtering for that much water
although the filter was designed to be added to the last stages of a
larger filtering system as a polisher to clear up the water a bit
more. I thought it should do a much better job than my bucket filter,
but I won't find out until the weather warms. What do you think?

Definitely adequate.... but you'd never talk me into using sand & gravel.
Screen door stuff works very, very, well.... and is light weight when
eventually you'll need to clean it. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us