Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default recommendations for lawn alternative

"Linda" wrote in message
Hi, we have a small backyard with a beautiful big tree and lots of shade
during the summer which is great for the kids - not having to worry about
sunscreen when they play outside. It does mean of course that lawn won't
grow - thats fine, we're not big gardeners, and what with regular mowing
and water restrictions it's not an option. But currently there is a mix
of dirt areas, weeds and so forth so it would be nice to have something
semi attractive.
So I'm looking for suggestions - I've been looking at various gardening
sites, and seen ideas such as Vinca Minor, chamomile, moss and of course
mondo grass but I'm sure there must be lots of possibilites I don't know
about.

So prerequisites - low maintenance, suitable for kids to play on, grows in
very shady area during summer, (but tree loses leaves in winter so has to
still survive), ok for humid conditions, drought tolerant (or happy with
grey water every now and then), doesn't cost too much to establish (very
limited budget), and if it was a mozzie deterant that would absolutely
wonderful as we have a problem with them as well when we're outside.

It doesn't matter if it takes a while to spread, I'm not in a hurry, but I
would like to do something - and if it can be grown from seed that would
be nice and cheap too.

Thanks for any suggestions

not sure how it goes in Aus but here in NZ white clover is doing perfectly
in my garden at present under the shade of trees, with hot days & lack of
rain. The clover is greener than the lawn and growing ok. It does get bees
in in summer which is a little hard on the bare feet but good for the vege
garden. Clover also reduces the need for a high nitrogen fertiliser for the
grass.

rob