Old 08-01-2008, 03:05 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Aquaducts - irrigating Australia

Blackadder XXIV wrote:
Has there been a serious study done to see the feasibility of channeling
water from our far north to some of the drier parts of our continent? I'm
thinking of a massive pipe and aquaduct system.

lol.

1. They all get as far as realizing that the great surplus of water up
north is a myth.
2. It costs money to build and maintain the pipeline and to pump the
water. Far more that it would cost for any other scheme.

It does seem sad that some parts of our land suffer from too much water -

Yep, the bits we irrigate.

I'm not thinking that such a mammoth scheme could be achieved in 10 or even
100 years- but what's the alternative? Desalination plants don't seem to be
that effective.

replace porcelan thrones.