Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default indoor azalea

In article ,
says...
Help. Someone bought me an azalea for my birthday.

I never have indoor plants/flower presents usually, as most people know
I don't like plants or flowers indoors.

However I did get this azalea and this blinking thing is now losing all
its leaves and yet I followed the instructions to the letter. I put it
on a north facing cool window sill, on a dish of pebbles, kept the
water topped up in this (not too high!) fed it a week solution of acid
loving stuff every Saturday and this is how it repays me. The leaves are
falling off by the shrub-load every time I move it to check.
Can I save it at all?
It's been grown like a small tree, i.e. has a clear stem of about 6-9
inches.

I would think its struggling to cope with the temperature extremes, the
only time I managed to grow and flower one for a few years it lived down
the cooler end of an unheated conservatory, so in the winter when it was
flowering average temperatures would be a lot lower than your house. But
then there is the fact it has been moved from one set of conditions to
another and may just be objecting to that.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk