Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Potatos in tyres

"Val" expounded:

My little Grandma used to peel her potatoes into a piece of news paper,
bundle it up and take it to her flower garden and tucked it in where ever
she had an empty spot for planting. If you peel with a knife instead of a
vegetable peeler you have enough eye left in most of the peeling to grow.
Made a nice green filler in her flower beds and the blossoms were very
pretty as well. In the fall she'd dig them up. Not only did she get some
nice potatoes that where dug at the same time as she was "putting her garden
to bed" for the winter, she was improving the soil as well. Potatoes do
wonders for soil improvement. The volunteers that occasionally came up in
the spring where just dug the following fall.

What a wonderful memory, and a good idea! My great grandmother was
the garden inspiration in our family. We're lucky to have had them in
our lives!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts