Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default OT troll treatment

On 9 Jan, 10:21, David in Normandy wrote:
Ditto. Since switching to the MicroPlanet Gravity
newsreader I hardy see any troll activity. I've simply set
a rule to block posts sent to more than one newsgroup.
Because most trolls can't resist cross posting it is very
effective. The second rule automatically deletes any posts
with offensive language - this too is very effective.

Bonne annee David! I think it's everyone's choice and what I've seen
in the last few months are cross posts regarding interesting issues
but not necessarily everybody's cup of tea. If I see a subject with
'squirels, Allan Holmes or CONservation ...' in the title I simply
don't read it because I know it's usually a personnal battle between
some people and even if it was at one time interesting it's now
definitely borring.

By wedging wars against people's freedom of speech we encourage the
'wrong' people to add their rubbish onto posts which started out fine.
I'll agree with Mike there that it's usually best to ignore. I
personnally enjoy reading - and that is reading everything thrown at
me but within the first few lines I either realise that it's been
taken from somewhere else or it's an ongoing saga between individuals.
It only takes a few minutes of my life, and then I stop reading and
move on!

By the way, do you get The Garden mag?! My letter to Ms Greer was
printed. I'm really pleased - I've pledge 2008 to be the year of
community spirit, sustainability and action )