Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Non-hibernating Grey Squirrels

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , BAC
writes

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , BAC
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
r.co.uk...

"BAC" wrote in message

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Has anyone else got non-hibernating gray squirrels this year?

Everybody within the grey squirrel's range has non-hibernating grey
squirrels, because they do not hibernate.

I wish everyone who has a gray squirrel would get rid of them, I live
in
Formby, one of the last few places where our native Red lives, and is
being kept from the imported American Grey http://tinyurl.com/2fmhte

It isn't necessary to kill all grey squirrels everywhere in the UK just
keep them out of Formby.

Wrong. It is vital, not just necessary, to kill grey squirrels anywhere
where they are putting our increasingly endangered red squirrel
populations at risk, including many areas in Scotland.

Whilst I may accept it could be expedient to eliminate grey squirrels
"anywhere where they are putting ... red squirrel populations at risk",
say
by maintaining a grey free 'cordon sanitaire' around the red squirrel
enclave, that policy doesn't need to be extended to 'everywhere in the
UK',
since there are few red squirrel populations left at risk in the UK. Most
of
England and Wales, for instance, has no red squirrel populations, and
killing grey squirrels in Kent, say, would make absolutely no difference
the survival prospects of remnant red squirrel populations such as those
hanging on in locations like Formby, parts of Scotland, Anglesey, or the
Isle of Wight. Hence my statement 'It isn't necessary to kill all grey
squirrels everywhere in the UK just to keep them out of Formby' is not
"Wrong", on the contrary, it is true and accurate.

My "wrong" was in response to your "just to keep them out of Formby". I
was pointing out, as you accept, that there are other, arguably far more
important areas, like those parts of Scotland holding the vast majority of
our dwindling population of red squirrels, where it is equally important
(= vital) to do so.

I was of course responding in the context of the OP's wish that 'everyone'
should get rid of grey squirrels to preserve the Formby reds.