Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default Non-hibernating Grey Squirrels

" I was of course responding in the context of the OP's wish that
'everyone'
should get rid of grey squirrels to preserve the Formby reds.

I didn't actually say that, just that Formby was one of the few areas left!
The native red is an endangered species in the UK, whilst the grey
flourishes, on the back of the red, being larger, and clears out the reds
food first. Also, they pass on a disease which decimates the red's also.
Living with these squirrels naturally makes me want to eliminate the big bad
grey! wouldn't it be nicer for us to have the native species back again,
throughout the country, there are enough greys in the US!