Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default indoor azalea

In article ,
says...
In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

I would think its struggling to cope with the temperature extremes, the
only time I managed to grow and flower one for a few years it lived down
the cooler end of an unheated conservatory, so in the winter when it was
flowering average temperatures would be a lot lower than your house. But
then there is the fact it has been moved from one set of conditions to
another and may just be objecting to that.

It flowered pretty well for 4 weeks but it's been the last two weeks as
the flowers are dying that the leaves are falling off. I don't have a
radiator in the kitchen and often open the window a little but I suppose
that's warmer than the garden centre where it was kept.
How do I save it Charlie?

Janet

So long as you accept that my track record for killing these is bad!
pop it outside on mild days, and at night bring it to your side of the
curtains (unless you are Double glazed when it won't make as much
difference) It can get pretty cold next to the glass once the curtains
are drawn.
I presume your tap water is not hard and if it is you are not using it?
Aim for cool 4c+, not fluctuating to much temperatures and just moist not
wet compost.
My books all agree that they should only be inside while in flower
(temperature of around 15c while in bud and flower)the rest of the winter
they go out into a greenhouse or coldframe.
I lost mine due to Vine Weavil back in the days before the nursery and
therefore before I knew anything about them, so it may be worth checking
the roots are ok, no white grubs and no signs of rot.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk