Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default How to safely plant a soakaway?

On 9 Jan, 13:33, Sacha wrote:
I don't dislike grasses but personally, I think they're a bit 'overdone'
these days and are just beginning to lose popularity a little. *They're used
in a lot of municipal planting, so I wonder if there is too much of that
association in the public's mind, perhaps.

The popularity is for its biodiversity, wildlife friendly and
ecologically sound (cleaning) benefits. If these plants are
commercially viable, then I'm for one very glad people make money out
of them for precisely the benefits they bring as opposed for a
'fashionable' reason. The 'municipal planting' effect as a long way to
go before achieving the aesthetics one dream off like those of Piet
Oudolf, for a start there's quite a job in getting rid of the
thousands of dusty aucubas, rhodos and privets and the millions of
petunias one usually find in our municipalities. Sadly.