Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to safely plant a soakaway?

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
where are you? tree ferns would look rather fine!

Hmm. Tree ferns would fit in well. The sloping soakaway/lawn separates
the house from the lane below, and the house is quite high above both,
so to look down on tree-ferns from all the windows of the house would be
good, and they'ld hide the lane and occasional traffic.

We're in South West Shropshire, rather similar to Wales in climate but
not quite so wet. Behind this house are a good deal of wild ferns. The
front, however, is completely south-facing, so would tree-ferns manage
in summer? Also, are you saying that tree-ferns don't have deep roots?
(Would be good if they don't.)

Eddy.

They form a mat of roots near the surface, but sadly I suspect you are
too cold for an open position planting, there may however be other
evergreen ferns large enough to suit but its not my area.
Also some bamboos would love the constant moisture, not all varieties
would suit so seek advice, mine only go down about 6 inches, they are
very much surface rooting, evergreen and the phyllostchys sorts have
wonderful stem colours (my favourite is P. vivax aureocaulis, 20' of
golden stems)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk