Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default How to safely plant a soakaway?

Charlie Pridham wrote:

They form a mat of roots near the surface, but sadly I suspect you are
too cold for an open position planting,

Well, we've had a dozen frosts so far since autumn, so yes that's not
quite the natural environment of the tree-fern. Most of the tree-ferns
I have seen, in Queensland and in New Zealand, have been growing beneath
the canopy provided by tall trees in forests, so that they don't get
sunlight directly upon them.

It would be a pity to buy a couple of expensive big tree-ferns, only to
see them come a cropper in the winter. So, that suggests seeing how big
non-tree ferns can be. I guess lots of ordinary-height ferns with maybe
a clump or two of gunneras could look good. And if they all flop in
winter, oh well that's the British garden for you. Glory in spring and
summer: death in winter!

Thanks for the bamboo suggestion. The previous owner has had a go at it
on the other side of my septic tank. Trouble is he planted a variety
that loses all its leaves in winter. Anyway, a lawnful of bamboo would
be without context and rather "too much" I think for this property
surrounded by typically English fields.

Eddy.