Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default indoor azalea

On 8 Jan, 18:14, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Help. Someone bought me an azalea for my birthday.

I never have indoor plants/flower presents usually, as most people know
I don't like plants or flowers indoors.

However I did get this azalea and this blinking thing is now losing all
its leaves and yet I followed the instructions to the letter. I put it
on a north facing cool window sill, *on a dish of pebbles, kept the
water topped up in this (not too high!) fed it a week solution of acid
loving stuff every Saturday and this is how it repays me. The leaves are
falling off by the shrub-load every time I move it to check.
Can I save it at all?
It's been grown like a small tree, i.e. has a clear stem of about 6-9
inches.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Sounds like overwatering and feeding. When I was working I would let
them get a bit dry - feel the weight, then dunk them until the bubbles
stop, then they don't get any more until they've nearly dried again. I
didn't feed 'til they went into the shade house and started growing
again. Lime free water (rain water or fridge water) of course. Some
leaves always fall off in the house but once you see really
substantial leaf loss the plant is usually beyond help - sorry.
I always lost a few of the small newly bought ones each year but any
that survived were then usually OK in subsequent years.