Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to safely plant a soakaway?

Sacha says...
Ours is a good two to three feet over Ray's head and he's about 6'1". He
just puts the old leaves over the crown each year but it's probably
important to say that ours has some shelter from a wall and from tree
canopy. It dies back naturally, with or without frost. And of course, it's
in the south west. But while its spread has been a bit restricted by the
things around it, its height appears to know few bounds!

They have a real wow factor when they are that size. The
first one I ever saw was in a private garden next to
Warwick castle around 20 years ago. I think it may have
been one of those Yellow-book open garden days. I remember
walking under it's canopy of huge leaves absolutely awe
struck. Since then I always wanted one. This is the first
place we've lived where the garden is big enough to handle
one (without it dominating the entire garden).

I'll continue each year with the leaf folding and fleece to
be on the safe side. I'd hate to lose it.
--
David in Normandy