Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default More weather.........

High winds again tonight for the third night in a row. We seem to be having
a recently established pattern of fairly pleasant days, getting colder in
the afternoon and then with these high winds at night. The first blast down
the chimney tonight was so loud that I thought it was a muffled explosion
somewhere. In warmer months we get sulky days and then the sun comes out at
5pm. I have no idea if it's weather in the region in general, or because we
are located between moor and sea but changeable weather is a phrase that
could have been coined for our area!
The upside is that some daffs have very promising and ripe buds on them and
once those and some more snowdrops start to open, I'll feel very confident
of spring arriving soon.
The birds are behaving strangely too. Jackdaws have started chittering away
on top of my study chimney and sparrows are flying up into the eaves as if
inspecting new homes - I saw at least half a dozen do that this morning.
And a male blackbird perched on the fatball and seed feeder outside my
(first floor) study window today. This is the fifth time I've seen him do
that this year and is something I've never seen before. He's pecking at the
fatball, not the seeds. Instead of being on a stable and flat bird table,
he's clinging to a 'blowing in the wind' arrangement, which is something I
thought blackbirds really didn't like?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk