Old 10-01-2008, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol[_2_] Lol[_2_] is offline

Default Non-hibernating Grey Squirrels

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:20:26 GMT, Sheila wrote:

The native red is an endangered species in the UK, whilst the grey
flourishes, on the back of the red, being larger, and clears out the
reds food first. Also, they pass on a disease which decimates the red's
also.

Squirrel pox is the major problem rather than greys out competing reds for
resoursces. Greys squirrle pox but it has little if any affect on them. An
infected red dies in around two weeks.

http://www.scottishsquirrelsurvey.co.uk/pox.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4093856.stm

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...-northwest/w-n
orthwest-news/w-northwest-news-squirrel_pox_formby.htm

I do hope that they do manage to control it. Though there is no date on
that "news" article, I assume they mean Nov 07.

We visited Formby last year, lots of Squirrels, sit still and they would
come very close. We have them around here (North Pennines) but ours a far
less habituated to humans... Late last year greys were spotted, fund
raising bought traps and a hotline to one of the local keepers published.
Any grey sticking its head up round here better be prepared to have it
blown off.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail