Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike....[_3_] Mike....[_3_] is offline

Default allotments

Following up to Fred wrote:

He suggested I hire a strimmer to cut back the growth and a
rotavator to dig the soil. Is this a good idea or should I check he
doesn't own the hire shop

as you will want to cut grass on a regular basis i would buy a honda
4stroke (good make) brush cutter/strimmer, you can use this to cut
the grass long term. Do wear the protective gear. Nobody likes a dog
turd in the face (well most dont).

Om my site some swear by rotovator and other say useless!

pro: no backbreaking work, you just repeat until the weeds give up.

anti: rotovator cuts couch grass roots into little segments that all
then grow!

BTW which way does the slope run (south facing would be nice)? I would
choose one over the other if it looked less vulnerable to vandalism
(non proximity to estate type housing).
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email