Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Mimosa

On 10/1/08 15:41, in article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" remove my other hobby to
reply wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Ray has just brought me a large piece of mimosa. It's the little purple
leaf one, Acacia baileyana purpurea and admittedly it's from a greenhouse,
but it's a lovely promise of things to come.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Our neighbour has one that flowers outdoors in the summer. Orange flowers I
think or yellow. What sort would that be?

The most usual one is Acacia dealbata but that flowers early. You'd need to
describe the leaves but it could be A.retinoides. A. verticillata is
possible but that's more tender and we keep ours in a cool greenhouse. It's
also extremely unfriendly and very prickly but as it's more of a spring
flowering plant, it's unlikely to be that one.
One thing to be aware of is that some people called Albizia julibrissin
'mimosa' but that's more in USA than here, I think. It has pink flowers in
a sort of fluffy fan shape.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk