Old 10-01-2008, 04:36 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening
Jette Jette is offline

Default Recommended viewing: BBC3 - Kill It, Cook It, Eat It returnsthis time the killing of infant animals as young as three week

Oz wrote:
Jim Webster writes
yes, when you look at how much reserve stock is available in some towns, two
or three days cut off with snow would be a major issue

Hmmm...

More true than one would want to know about. Few people store more than
a few days of anything. Stocks of dried foods (flour, pulses etc) are
often zero these days.

A situation where vast areas of the country were cut off (eg 1963) would
actually be life threatening on a mass scale.

Also, people seem to hoard-buy things like bread rather than dried
foods.

So long as there's power, I've personally got a about two weeks of
food. Bread would be interesting - I could do lots of unleavened
bread type things (pancakes, blinis, tortillas) from scratch, and a
small amount of regular type bread (couple of bread making packs with
the yeast included). Tins, dried, frozen foods.

No power and we're down to what I can cook on an old open fireplace -
and I don't have a large store of fuel, which means "use the frozen
stuff NOW and keep the tins for later", which means things will get
more limited.

Lots of ducks on the canal - very tame, should be easy to catch with a
bit of old bread for bait ;-)

--
Jette Goldie

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
http://wolfette.livejournal.com/
("reply to" is spamblocked - use the email addy in sig)