Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Moles

On 10/1/08 22:22, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:12:40 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 10/1/08 15:02, in article
, "Emery
Davis" wrote:

snip

Contrary to what you may have heard, a single trap spot can catch several
moles. Also, 1 mole makes up to 10 hills per day, so it doesn't take
that many to do a lot of damage. I don't think it would be that expensive
if you got someone who knew what they were doing. That's always the
trick, of course.

-E

Some years ago we had a mole infestation (as we thought) of a large area of
a big garden. We were surrounded by fields, too. When we got the mole man
in he said that it was almost certainly all done by one mole. IIRC he used
strychnine worms but this was back in the early 80s and I think that may be
illegal now.

Hi Sacha,

IIRC strychnine was made illegal on the European level around 10 years ago:
there was an outcry from the farmers because one of their "tools" was being
revoked by those "d*mned technocrats."

I'm pretty sure it was being used legally in Jersey about 5 years ago but
maybe being autonomous and only partly in the EU, those rules didn't apply
there.

They got over it.

Actually probably not a bad idea to make it illegal, I believe it's pretty
nasty
for the environment and all who live in it.

It's extremely effective but not a pleasant method to consider, no.

Hope the wind is dying down in your parts, still blowing like mad here!

Much quieter now, thanks. It was appalling all day - blowing great guns and
sheeting with rain.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk