Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default allotments

On 10 Jan, 18:18, Fred wrote:
Thanks. I'll check which way south is.

Indeed - and if you are planning fruit trees, think of their eventual
height (and therefore root diameter) so that they don't cast a long
shadow on your crops and don't take most of your soil allocated to
your vegs. Also it depends what your crops are. I grow fruit bushes in
partial shade and find they crop much better, are sweeter and firmer
and last longer. Same for the strawbs and leaf vegs. I'm sure you've
made a plan on paper. Checking your soil would be an idea too so that
you start on a good footing. Spending time observing the plot, for
wind and sun paterns is a great start. The weeds also will indicates
the type of soil you have. The slope is often an advantage for fruit
trees, as described by Bob - the worry there would be frost pockets
and wind breaks. You must find your orientations before organising
your planting if you're on a slope even a slight one.

I don't know anything about weed killer. Is this one safe to use in
soil that you want to grow fruit and veg. ?

I am absolutely against this. I would also check with your allotment
committee and your plot neighbours if this is allowed and if they
don't mind. (I'd also add that if you are planning to sell your
vegetables as asked previously, you need to check your council, as
that is not allowed unless specified otherwise, and get a licence if
your allotment is not certified organic by the FSC, because food stuff
might be contaminated with chemicals and metals etc.). We have 120
plots and we are all organic. We don't sell our surplus but share it,
which is much nicer.

I would also not use a rotovator for the reason given by Mike. I've
successfully cleared many plots for years using elbow grease. It has
brought me closer to the ground, to the soil and in this way I've
found lots of information about the soil I'm about to work with. I
don't think the local Robin will come next to your petrol smoke
chucking rotovator to help itself to the bugs you've unearthed of it.
It is perhaps a slower process but in the end it really pays up. Isn't
this what gardening is all about after all? Finally, your plot must
be at its maximum lenght of 10 rods!? Therefore there's very little
need to go to the expense of using petrol machinery.