Old 11-01-2008, 09:14 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default companion planting - let's have it out!

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
is anyone up for some information exchange about companion planting?

Yes. Generally there is very little useful information. The few books we
have tend to not mention many of the veges we grow,

We are currently trying the corn, beans and squash trilogy. Well, we will
if I can get the beans to actually come up.

It started with the corn. I ended up putting in about four lots of
planting before half the 12x12 block took and grew.

I've tried planting beans, but only 5 out of 60 shot and black birds ate 3
of them.

Meanwhile, the whole patch is being invaded by a self sown pumpkin(jap?)
from another patch. sigh. I woundn't feel so bad, but the only flowers are
male, Unless they are different to zucchini, which has been a total waste
of space so far as it all need hand pollination.

Ok well, hope the water tank is full as everything is going to need
watering this evening afterthe scorcher that today has been.

In summary, we just tend to try everything with everything and see what
happens. In reality swmbo always produces too many seedlings that get shoe
horned in everywhere.

Don't complain my SWMBO does the digging and weeding in MY plot. Agh the
joys of a heart condition. The weeding is under supervision as all look like
weeds to younger eyes. But I get the credit for success & failure alike.
We have had a wet & cool summer so far, how I love a positive SOI.