Old 12-01-2008, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default allotments

On 11 Jan, 22:30, Sacha wrote:
Do not use my words to support you, if you please. You are quoting out of
context and it is indeed ironic that if you use me to support you, you must
indeed be desperate to impose your views on others.

Its from the article you've posted on ALLOTMENT GET HIP - THE TIMES. I
took the quote from what the article said which you've posted on that
thread. Off course you didn't read all of it. But that's what it
said ...

Allotments get hip
by Devika Bhat

"It's a great break from a hectic career. I like that it's something
totally different to what you do at work. It's a full task on its own,
tending the soil, and it's very rewarding to see the fruits of your
labour. It's good exercise too, with the digging and weeding. And
taste-wise you can definitely tell the difference."

The social aspect poses another appeal. "We've had a cheese and wine
night at the allotment and we're planning a big meal for our friends,
using the produce," said Miss McGuffie.

Insiders say the trend testifies to the growing desire for healthier
and eco-friendly living. Mr Stokes said: "What we are seeing is that
more people want access to fresh food - not things picked before being
ripe which has travelled 1,300 miles across the world.

"There are also concerns with what is used in growing food. Allotment
gardeners tend not to use chemicals at all and when they do, they at
least can control it."