Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default Pond add value?

"~ jan" wrote:

I might have someone going to ask me if their pond adds value to their
home. (Thinking of selling.) I haven't view it yet.... but I've always been
understanding they don't, but they might have sell it faster if it is well
done.... etc. All depends on who is looking. Group? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan,

I think a pond is like a pool here in San Diego. I've owned a house with a
pool and would not consider buying a house that had one - unless there was
something very special about the house to overcome the pool. A pool is great
if you have kids, but if not it is just a maintenance item. (Note all the
posts we get about converting a pool to a pond)

To be honest, I think a pond, unless it is very small, would deter more
buyers than it would attract. There is no denying that ponds are a high
maintenance item, and with fish stock even higher. There just aren't that
many ponders out there. A fountain, on the other hand, or small preform
might be okay.

For what it would cost to install, I say spend the money on landscaping.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.