Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default OT Remembrance Monday Bank Holiday petition

"Eddy" wrote ((SNIP))
This is off-topic but as other replies appear to have been allowed I
would like to add my view.

That is why I put OT in the subject line. However poppies are flowers (or
weeds). :-)

I used to be a teacher at a good number of schools (primary and
secondary) and universities, until a few years ago and I was, and am
still, appalled at how most young people have little knowledge of and
regard for the extraordinary sacrifice that was made for the freedom
from Nazi domination which we all enjoy today. (Let's not forget the
Nazis dominated Europe and got as far as invading and occupying our
Channel Islands and it is a miracle we managed to beat them back!)

You berate the young and middle aged for not understanding about Remembrance
Day and yet also tell us you were a Teacher for years.

Whatever subject is taught there must be a way to introduce it into
lessons....maths... what percentage chance did young men have of dieing or
being injured etc?... chemistry...constituents and effect of mustard gas ;
English... plenty of poems etc..; Biology... the cause and effect of
Gangrene and/or Trench Foot. (not least the smell): .....

If the kids do their family tree only a few generations back most will find
some effect of either/both wars which will help make it personal especially
if they can find the persons War Records at Kew.

Hopefully if we get a day off someone in authority, someone who is non-PC
perhaps, might also suggest the kids are taught why it's a holiday and what
they owe to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. Used to happen in the
Cubs/Scouts or similar but how many kids join them now.

Whilst on this subject may I suggest this Blog to everyone..
http://www.wwar1.blogspot.com/
It's got me hooked.
--
Regards