Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default allotments

On 12 Jan, 17:23, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Of course it doesn't work on anything other than small scale (and I am not
fully convinced of that either. *But then again, I am happy to admit that
pouring unlimited chemicals on plants isn't sensible either. *The best way
is a balance between the two, but zealots like you can't see that).

Have you heard of biomimicry or bionics? Now that's on large scale
production and commercial. My local veg/fruit shop supply thousands of
people - all the food stuff is organic.

No, I eat lots of commercially-grown vegetables. *I avoid eating organic
vegetables as much as possible because I believe it would be hypocritical to
eat them

How very very strange. I wonder how many more people feel like you do.
Is it only principals, like you don't want to eat the food zealots
like us eat, or is it a financial reason as well. Because if it's the
former, you've got some cheek to call me prejudiced!

Glyphosate doesn't kill insects. *It kills plants.

Yes, it kills the habitat of the insects and therefore will kill the
insects. It goes hand in hand. Why can't you see this?

And if you can show me the
practical difference of using glyphosate, and you and your mates digging up
a whole plot and removing all the plants in order to clear things such as
couch and ground elder roots, I'd love to hear it.

As I explain, it is not all at once - it's a delicate balance. You
would, by hand, leave habitats lying on the ground, giving chance for
insects to get out and move on. And I do not remove everything - I
leave lots of wild flowers, ragged robin, common melilot, vetch,
willow herb, bugloss etc. Often it is pretty and I know my plot/garden
benefits from it.

This is not what you were saying. *Again, you are twisting the facts to suit
yourself. *You can't compare a row of dahlias and a row of mixed flowers
whether or not each are organic or chemically treated. You must compare like
with like. *But that wouldn't satisfy your prejudice, would it?

The point I am making is the single variety of flowers with all wild
flowers nuked for easthetic reasons. That is the problem I have with
some garden, in this example a front row of flowers with lots of bear
earth, without a single weed, and huge dahlias with nothing else. That
is what chemicals do to a flower bed. I prefer seeing a variety of
flowers. That is *my* preference.