Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moles

Anne Jackson says...
The message from David in Normandy contains these words:

I'm open to ideas for getting rid of moles. They have gone
beyond mere cosmetic nuisance. The lawns are now unsafe to
walk on due to the uneven surface. The Mrs badly sprained
her ankle when the ground collapsed below her foot - she
ended up in a heap on the ground. It took weeks for the
pain and swelling to go down. We've got around a hundred
mole hills in our lawns.

I enquired of a local (to me) Freecycler, who uses 'molecatcher'
as a posting name, and this is his reply:

"I sometimes use humane traps, which are simply a pipe with oneway doors
in either end. These are only humane when checked 3 time a day or more.
The most efficient trap is the scissors or barrel trap. Dig up the
freshest molehill, clear the runs exposed, including carefully spooning
out loose soil well into the run. Cock and set the traps each side of the
hole, then cover the hole with a scrap slate or piece of wood, making sure
the trigger is not going to be impeded.Check daily, without disturbing and
in time the mole will be caught.

You can speed the process by introducing smoke into the run, well away
from the traps."

Hope this helps.

I will get some barrel traps and have a go with those.
Thanks for this reply, very helpful.
--
David in Normandy