Old 13-01-2008, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default OT Remembrance Monday Bank Holiday petition

"Fuschia" wrote in message

I am very much in favour of Remembrance for the fallen.
However it seems to me from the commercial support for the petition
that this is being used as an excuse, a label, for just another public
holiday. It will be used as an excuse for various commercial,
consumer-oriented activities that have nothing to do with Remembrance.

Christmas and Easter are bank holidays because they are religious
festivals, but only a minority use them to go to church. The majority
use them as an opportunity for parties. If we have a Remembrance day
off work, I believe the majority will also use that for parties. Is
that what we want?

Well said. That is why I will not sign the petition

Mike