Old 13-01-2008, 06:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default Probably not Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:33:03 -0700, SuE wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:47:32 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Another plant I bought along with the D. helix I posted earlier. I have serious
doubts about the label.

D. Ursula is D. discolor x D. veratrifolium (almost certainly what is now known
as lineale).
D. Neo-Hawaii is D. lineale x D phalaenopsis.

There's nothing there that would give anything remotely like the tall, erect
antlers. They're typical of only D. antennatum, D. cochloides, D. stratiotes, &
possibly D tangerinum as far as I can tell. And, while D. stratiotes is a very
variable species, the blooms on my plant look very like at least one photo of D.
stratiotes.

Comments anyone?
Dave Gillingham

I would be glad to adopt it for you. Since it is such a problem
child. G

I love the these tall twisty 'antler' Dens. They just don't love me.

Beautiful. Like you little white kingianum too.

Great show.
SuE

Thanks, Sue. As I said to Gary re D. fleckeri, I think I'm lucky enough to have
an environment where a number of these Dens do reasonably well, so I don't have
to work so hard to create their environment.

One of our society members, who grows magnificent Spatulata Dens, has a special
house for them where he maintains high humidity the year round, & keeps the
temperature up in winter - not to mention, *air movement*.

I've now succeded in acquiring all my "first pass" wish list of orchids. Rather
than relaxing satisfied, I'm developing a new wish list that is heavy with New
Guinea Spatulata Den species. I'll never grow them to their full potential -
check out that book "Spatulata Orchids of New Guinea" by the Orchid Society of
New Guinea if you can - & I'll probably kill at least some of them. But I'd
love to try to grow them.
Dave Gillingham