Old 13-01-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing lawn with herbaceous garden . . .

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
Either use a roundup type weed killer with a sprinkle bar (having drawn
the required outline) or cover the whole area in woven membrane and
plant through it (this can be a pain later), either way mulch with
something after planting. it will be a lot less work long term if you
give yourself a proper edge other wise the grass will re colonize from
the edges.

Charlie, do you suggest a "woven membrane" because it will breathe
adequately, i.e. it will not reduce the effectiveness of the soakaway
below?

And thanks for confirming grass is very good at re-colonizing.

Eddy.

No, woven is to allow water and air through (some people make the mistake
of using black polythene, which although it would kill the grass would
also "Kill" the soil and stop it working) and I think Helen suggested wet
newspaper which if overlaid with mulch so you can not see it allso works
very well.
If it was me I would make a raised edge all the way around and fill to a
depth of about 4 inches with soil/compost having weedkillered the
grass, and plant into that, then you will know in future that it is quite
safe to cultivate the surface, as with perennials you will need to do
every few years or it will become run down and tired looking. A lot more
work in the short term but a lot less long term as it will be easier to
maintain
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk