Old 13-01-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default OT Remembrance Monday Bank Holiday petition

Bob, I'm glad you agree there is a great need for the young to be
educated about the two world wars, why they had to be fought, and what
that fighting entailed. And, yes, most certainly it should partly be
done within the education system. I can assure you, however, that since
I was teaching it has only become even more difficult for teachers to go
their own brave way and avoid the strictures of the national curriculum.
You should have heard something of us in the news over the years.

The media has also an immense role to play in the education of the young
and reminding of society in general of the extraordinary and unpayable
debt we owe to those who fought. One or two documentaries on BBC 1 or
2 over the course of the week preceding Remembrance Sunday is not
enough, particularly these days when so many consider it their right to
have satellite or cable access to literally hundreds of TV channels.
Many of the young, for example, NEVER bother with BBC 1 or 2: they're
glued to the likes of MTV and so forth.

Eddy.