Old 13-01-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Replacing lawn with herbaceous garden . . .

Eddy wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
But it's pointless, anyway - grass is very sensitive to glyphosate,
and is killed by a single application. MUCH easier.

Thanks. I can see that being true. And Glyphosate doesn't lower the
quality of the soil for the plants that I'll then put in, presumably
after a certain waiting time? How long after?

There is no waiting time required, as glyphosate is inactivated when it hits
the soil. It may hang around under extreme circumstances for a few weeks,
but that doesn't matter as it is only effective when absorbed through the
leaves. It won't harm the soil, anyway.

More to the point is that it takes at least 2 - 3 weeks to kill off plants,
and there is no point at all in applying it now. It needs actively growing
plants to work. Wait until at least late April to make sure you aren't
wasting your money.

The only other comment I would make is that on deep-rooted grasses, in my
experience it sometimes takes another application to finish the job.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)