Old 13-01-2008, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Finally got our mole

On 13/1/08 14:17, in article
,
" wrote:

Hi
We have had a mole for years. The problem was when it began going
under the lawn. I bought lawn edging to try to stop it but it
burrowed under that. I tried garlic, no good. I tried putting a
buzzing alarm in its burrow that didn't work. I bought a humane mole
trap and it burrowed at the side of it. Finally my husband dealt with
the mole and I asked no questions as to what he did, but it's gone.

We're surrounded by fields and have a churchyard bordering the garden.
Moles come to us with monotonous regularity and my husband puts down traps
for them. We have to do it because otherwise the lawn becomes dangerous as
it undulates over the mole runs! That's damage enough but the worst is when
they get under shrubs and leave the roots dangling in air. You know nothing
about this until the thing keels over!
I'm afraid that once you get moles, you've got moles, if you see what I
mean. They are no respecter of persons. We can go months without a sign of
them and then wake up one morning to find several mounds on the lawn. The
funny things is that there are 4 lawns here and they seem to choose only one
- the biggest and most visible from the house, naturally.
Whatever your husband did worked, so in future, he may have to do it again.
If it's any consolation to you, it's perfectly possible that you have only
one mole because they're solitary animals and become fierce and aggressive
when they encounter each other. They eat half their own weight in worms and
insects every day, so they have to work hard for that and they can shift
about 10lbs of earth in 15 minutes or so - powerful little brutes.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk