Old 13-01-2008, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Finally got our mole

says...
On 13 Jan, 14:30, wrote:
*Much
as I don't like to be cruel it was making such a mess, and there's a
field at the bottom of the garden it could have dug there to its
hearts desire.

It occured to me that perhaps the 'mess' might be used to good benefit
- the earth that the moles bring up is very thin and 'worked'. Perhaps
you could use this as a potting mix? Anybody did this?

That is the only consolation I've had from moles. The fine
soil from the hills mixed 50:50 with sharp sand make good
potting compost.

I think I've got rid of Mr Mole in our main lawn. I'm not
telling how because it could potentially be dangerous if
someone tried to do the same without extreme care and
attention. It may not even be legal in the UK either.

I expect it will only be a matter of time before the mole
lease hold becomes occupied again, so getting rid of moles
is likely to be an ongoing job. Hopefully not too
frequently though.

I've not found that plant you suggested yet - we had a look
in the local garden centre and could find neither the plant
or seeds for it. I'll keep a look out though - if it deters
moles from the flower beds that at least would be
something.
--
David in Normandy