Old 13-01-2008, 07:31 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
LEPS-L LEPS-L is offline

Default Prunus serotina (Black Cherry)

Hello,

I am looking for a supplier of Black Cherry--I think! There is a plant which
grows in northern IL that I believe is Prunus serotina, Black Cherry. It is
listed as a tree, but what I seem to encounter at the forest preserves and
parks is more bush-like. It grows about 15' tall and the root system must
sprout multiple stems so that it appears bush-like. The leaves are about 4
inches long and dark green and glossy on top. The underside of the leaf is
lighter green. They seem to be extremely resistant to fungus and other forms
of predation. I have never seen the cherries on them, and clippings do not
take root. If anyone thinks it is another type of plant (Prunus sp. I am
sure) I'd like to know what you think it is, and where I might try to get
some. None of the typical plant supplier or greenhouses have it around me.
Thanks so much!