Old 13-01-2008, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default OT Remembrance Monday Bank Holiday petition

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:54:37 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 13/1/08 15:24, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:49:19 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 13/1/08 14:41, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:29:25 +0000, Sacha

wrote:

On 13/1/08 14:19, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:59:24 +0000, Eddy wrote
(in article ):

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I have difficulty understanding why
1) being about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust should
be
so noteworthy as to be worthy of being declared in the staff room.
2) why doing so should be the occasion of being the recipient of black
looks.

It's because "anything to do with guns and war and killing" is simply
wrong, Stewart! Guns, and war, and killing is thought to equate to
patriotism, nationalism, jingoism - and these things too equate to each
other and are also thought to be just as wrong!

I believe the attitude stems from fashion, ignorance, fear, and
irresponsibility.

Eddy.

I should point out that as I understand it (check with the BBC if you
don't
believe me) in England, teaching children about the Holocaust is
_/compulsory/, and it is not banned elsewhere in the UK.

BUT didn't I read somewhere just recently that there is now talk of
banning
such teaching because it is offensive to Muslims?

What one reads in the papers and reality are often very different.

In what way is the holocaust offensive to Muslims, other than that some of
them
are being treated as untermenschen by those who didn't learn from recent
history?

This is what The Times Online has to say:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1600686.ece

And this is what the BBC has to say:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6563429.stm

Thanks, Sally. I'm glad to read that teaching about the Holocaust is to be
compulsory. IMO religion should have nothing to do with teaching about
wickedness and the consequences of moral inertia.

I read it as already being compulsory. Sorry if I came on a bit strong, but
I was so fed up with getting this round-robin email, which has apparently
being going around since last April. When we wrote back that it was untrue,
the recipient went into high dudgeon and practically accused us of being
anti-semitic. Sigh.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation