Old 14-01-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naff or chic?

In article ,
says...
On 13/1/08 19:19, in article
,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

The Mrs spotted some unusual house plants in the garden
centre the other day. Small bushy green plants a bit like
box, but with small yellow flowers at the tips. Another,
similar variety had orange flowers. On closer inspection
all these flowers had been stuck on with glue!!!

The plants were real enough, just the flowers were plastic.
Surely there is a wide enough range of attractive house
plants without buying such monstrosities? Or am I being old
fashioned?

Each plant was covered in flowers - to think that someone
must have sat for ages gluing them all on.

When my brother was an art student - long time ago! - we had an argument
along those lines. Sort of "if you see something scarlet in the hedgerow
and finding it beautiful because you think it's a flower, is it less
beautiful when you discover it's a cigarette packet?" sort of thing. I saw
his point but clearly my illusions are too easily shattered.
To me, what you describe is akin to the brightly coloured, dyed, flowers
found in garage forecourt 'bouquets' or brightly coloured glass chippings on
graves. I hate them, others love them or they wouldn't be made.
A resounding naff from us.

Not just naff, its dishonest.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall