Old 14-01-2008, 11:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Quiet or is it my ISP?

"Garrapata" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:13:05 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

A grandson recovered most data but not e-mails or e-addresses or my
Favourites :-(

The old disk is now at the suppliers and they're doing a forensic recovery
which might regain the essential stuff.

How much is this going to cost? I have 3 old hard drives with some
stuff I would like to see again(some art work I did in another
incarnation) but the last time I checked it was too expensive

This place charges £25 but only if the data is recovered, there's no charge
if it isn't. James, the grandson, was impressed by that, he said that he's
seen charges from £50 to £500 - but that was when he was looking for a
company for his employer, an insurance broker. Some data is invaluable.

My ISP technical adviser - while I was asking about something else - said
that there was software available through Google but it took ages to do and
your pc is tied up during the process.

I've backed up some things on CDs but don't know how to back up e-mails -
and since most of my mailing isn't social or ngs it's important.

I use a gmail account to back up some of my favorites and .ini files and
some other stuff that is hard to re-create, just email to myself and
archive it.

Yebbut won't it be lost if your hd fails?

The group will get busier as we approach northern hemisphere spring

There are blue patches in the sky right now and I've seen snowdrops and buds
galore. Although I don't like hot weather I'm getting a bit tired of the
grey wet we've had so much of so the slightly longer days with a bit of sun
will be very welcome.

And I hope it won't be long before the hens begin laying again, we only have
about a dozen left!

Mary