Old 14-01-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Killing off Wild Garlic

TiredGardener wrote:
I have wild garlic all over my yard. �In the grass, tangled in with my
tulips and daffs, around the roses, in the side walk. �Literally
everywhere it can grow. �Pulling it up is not working, and from what
I'm reading, it usually doesn't. �Roundup is supposed to work, but I
prefer a more environmentally friendly option.

A precision Roundup application will eliminate those plants that are
growing now but new ones will return from the many bulbettes still in
the soil. I suggest you have your soil tested and amend it, it's
probably more condusive to growing garlic than lawn grass... if you
see any mosses growing in your lawn and/or anywhere nearby that is a
good indication that your soil is more amenable to garlic than lawn
grasses. Also over fertilizing can encourage all sorts of weed growth
by weakening the lawn grasses (many people think if a little
fertilizer is good then a lot is super, not). And sticking to a
regimen of keeping your lawn properly watered, mowed, and aerated will
do much to erradicate all weeds. Very first thing is to have your
soil tested, especially from areas where the garlic is most
pronounced. I bet you find out that your soil is too acid... it will
need a good application of lime, and a deep plug aeration can't hurt.