Old 14-01-2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Killing off Wild Garlic

On Jan 14, 1:04�am, TiredGardener wrote:
I have wild garlic all over my yard. �In the grass, tangled in with my
tulips and daffs, around the roses, in the side walk. �Literally
everywhere it can grow. �Pulling it up is not working, and from what
I'm reading, it usually doesn't. �Roundup is supposed to work, but I
prefer a more environmentally friendly option.

Roundup works well if you apply it carefully. But wild onion/garlic
will return unless you do some testing to discover why it's growing
there in the first place. Have your soil tested and amend it to
correct it's Ph. Also you may be over fertilizing and not watering
your lawn properly. You very well may be doing something that is
hostile to your lawn grasses but encourages those bulbs. A well
established healthy lawn should annialate many weeds, especially
bulbs. You also need to stick to a proper mowing regimen. I don't
know where you are located but it doesn't matter, nowhere in the US
are lawn grasses native. Lawns are difficult and require a lot of
care because they are composed of plants that don't want to be there.
First step is to test your soil.